Laser Skin Resurfacing
3 most common skin issues addressed:
ICON 1540 treats Fine Lines and Wrinkles without the Down Time of CO2 Lasers
Other things I have learned:
Results without the downtime!
If you prefer to get the results you desire with absolutely no down time, the Palomar 1540 Fractional Laser System could be right for you. After three to four treatments spaced approximately a month apart, this fractional non-ablative skin resurfacing laser will give you the results you’re looking for.
How It Works
The Cynosure ICON 1540 Fractional Laser is a revolutionary type of laser that splits up light energy into 470 high-precision micro beams that create deep, narrow columns in the skin and penetrate the lower layers to stimulate the body’s natural healing response and cause new, healthy tissue to form. The result is smoother, younger-looking skin with improved color, texture and tone. With the ICON 1540 Fractional Laser, our clients are able to achieve a more uniform skin color and reduce imperfections and sun damage such as freckles, brown spots, broken capillaries, acne scars and/or enlarged pores.
ICON 1540 active treatment at Newport Aesthetics
What to Expect
During ICON 1540™ treatments with Cynosure technology, most people feel only minimal discomfort. At Newport Aesthetics, we do offer the highest grade topical numbing cream (available only by prescription) to further enhance your comfort and experience. After the treatment, you may experience some minor redness and swelling similar to a slight sunburn. This should resolve in just a couple days but you can wear makeup to conceal any redness. There is NO NEED for injectable anesthesia! There will expected swelling for 3-5 days that only you will notice. Most outsiders will not even now that you had anything done!
You will see continued improvement in the skin’s appearance during and after a course of 1-3 treatments with visible results after each individual treatment. You may see results in facial veins immediately after the treatment along with a darkening of the brown spots. These spots will flake off over the next 1-3 weeks leaving you with a glowing appearance. Lastly, you will see progressive results on any fine lines, wrinkles or scarring over the next 6 months as your skin naturally responds to the treatment.
Rejuvenate your skin.
Results are not guaranteed and may vary from person to person.
What does a fractional laser do?
A fractional laser splits up laser light energy into an array of up to 470 high-precision microbeams. These tiny light beams create deep, narrow columns in the skin, leaving the epidermis in place and the islands of tissue surrounding the columns unaffected. The islands of unaffected skin promote a much faster rate of healing with less chance of complications than traditional laser treatments. Light energy from the fractional laser penetrates deep into the lower skin layer, or dermis. The columns of treated tissue stimulate the body’s natural healing response, and cause new, healthy tissue to form in the epidermis and dermis. As a result, you’ll have smoother, younger-looking skin with even color and improved texture and tone.
What skin conditions can fractional lasers treat?
Fractional lasers can treat fine lines and wrinkles, and improve the skin’s color, texture and tone.
What’s the difference between ablative and non-ablative lasers?
The difference lies in the laser’s effect on the top layer of the skin. Ablative lasers produce a controlled burning that removes the top layer of the skin, or epidermis, and penetrates deep into the dermis, or lower skin layer. Non-ablative lasers penetrate into the dermis, yet do not burn the skin or remove the epidermis. Thus, non-ablative treatments have a faster healing time than ablative laser treatments.
How is the fractional ablative laser different from other ablative laser treatments?
The fractional ablative laser preserves portions of healthy tissue surrounding the columns of treated tissue. Because the entire epidermis is not removed, healing occurs much faster than with a traditional CO2 laser treatment. What do conventional CO2 ablative laser treatments do? Traditional full-face laser skin resurfacing uses CO2—that is, carbon dioxide—to remove the entire outer skin layer and portions of the underlying skin layer. These conventional ablative procedures involve a one- to two-week recovery period with swelling, oozing and crusting of the skin, as well as discomfort.
How are Cynosure ICON 1540 fractional laser treatments different?
Cynosure ICON 1540 fractional laser treatments are much less complicated and more comfortable than conventional laser skin resurfacing treatments. Unlike other laser methods, Cynosure ICON 1540 fractional laser treatments require no blue-tinted guide lotion to be applied to your skin. The laser also has a unique sapphire cooling tip that cools your skin, eliminating the need for a topical anesthetic and minimizing your discomfort.
Do Cynosure ICON 1540 fractional laser treatments hurt?
The laser’s sapphire cooling tip cools your skin before, during and after each light pulse, making the treatment much more comfortable. And the fractional laser’s tiny columns of light prevent the unnecessary heat accumulation that occurs with traditional laser treatments.
What does a fractional laser treatment feel like?
The sensation most patients describe feeling during a treatment is like having a rubber band snapped lightly on your skin. Some patients say it feels like a sunburn sensation. How does the laser refine the skin’s texture? A laser facial can give you a smoother complexion by reducing enlarged pores. The heat that is generated in the deep areas of the dermis, over time, forces collagen to reconfigure itself and tighten up.
What can you expect after a Cynosure ICON 1540 Fractional Laser treatment?
That depends on whether you choose the fractional ablative or non-ablative laser. After a fractional ablative laser treatment, After a fractional non-ablative laser treatment, you can go right back to work or your normal routine. This is truly a lunchtime treatment. Some patients may experience some temporary mild redness following a treatment. Because any laser treatment will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, you should avoid sun exposure after a treatment.
What results can you expect from Cynosure ICON 1540 Fractional Laser treatments?
By making the facial skin color more uniform and taking away some of the sun damage, laser facial treatments can make you look much younger. Think about a baby’s skin—it’s all one color. As we age, freckles, brown spots, broken capillaries and acne scars can make the skin tone uneven. Laser facial treatments can erase these imperfections, or at least make them blend in more, to even out your skin tone for a more youthful look. If you have enlarged pores, laser facial treatments can give your skin a smoother, younger-looking texture.
Am I a candidate?
Laser treatments can be safely used on most skin types and for common aging and sun-related skin conditions including wrinkles, sun spots and facial vessels. During your consultation, Dr. Mai will determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure based on a variety of personal factors.
How many treatments will I need?
A typical course of treatment involves 3-5 procedures at one-month intervals. However, everyone’s skin conditions are different so your physician will customize the treatment for optimal results on your skin. They will discuss your specific treatment plan during your consultation. If you start treatments early, especially in your 30s, then ONE treatment per year should suffice to get early signs of aging such as red or brown spots and early prevention of wrinkles or even the finest of fine lines. If you wait a bit too long, perhaps a second treatment within one year is needed, but it needs to be at least 4 weeks apart with strict sun avoidance n between.
Scar treatments vary, depending on thick the scar is.
More important, YOU MUST STAY AWAY FROM THE SUN moving forward to protect your investment! Generally, once stable, once per year maintenance treatments of one hour should keep your skin looking bright, youthful and your collagen will be thicker than ever!
How will it feel?
During ICON 1540™ treatments, most people feel only minimal discomfort. During the treatment you may feel some mild cooling as the laser is guided over the treatment area along with a slight sensation similar to the snapping of a rubber band. After the treatment, you may experience some minor redness and swelling similar to a mild sunburn for a couple days.
How long does it take?
Treatments are quick and last about 30 minutes. Numbing does to 15-20 minutes to take effect.
How long before I can resume normal activities?
Typically, you can resume regular daily activities the same day as your treatment although due to some redness and swelling you may experience a day or two of “social downtime”.
Is it safe?
ICON 1540™ laser treatments are clinically proven to be safe and effective.
When will I see results?
Many patients see significant improvement within 2-3 weeks of treatment. Your complexion will be clearer and younger looking if done on the face. Scars visibly start to diminish even after the first treatment!
Will the spots and redness reappear over time?
Follow our aftercare recommendations. We offer a physician-prescribed topical treatment to protect your investment. Don’t forget to use it to ensure longer-lasting results. Over time new spots may appear if there is sufficient sun exposure; these too can be removed with additional treatments. Remember to liberally apply sunscreen when outdoors to minimize sun damage and the appearance of new spots and excessive redness.
Are patients satisfied with their results?
Treatments are recognized for a high level of patient satisfaction. Our patients are very pleased with treatment results because the process treats the full face, neck, chest or hands, or even any part of the body – rather than addressing a single isolated area or imperfection.
- No Accutane use for 6 months prior to treatment.
- Do not tan the areas being treated for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Do not use self-tanning products for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Stop all Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, glycolics, bleaching creams, and exfoliants 3-4 days prior to treatment.
- The treatment area must be free of any open sores, lesions or skin infections.
- For treatment of pigmented skin lesions, you should consult a specialist if there is a family or personal history of skin cancer or if you have these concerns.
- Shave any hair present in the area to be treated. Men should shave the beard area twice in succession in order to ensure as close a shave as possible.
- Gently wash the area to be treated, removing makeup, lotion, etc. Do not apply any creams, lotions or other products to the area except a topical anesthetic (if being used).
- If you have elected to use a topical anesthetic, do so only after reviewing all cautions associated with its use. Apply and use as directed prior to arrival.
- You cannot be pregnant or breast feeding to receive treatment.
- If you have a history of oral herpes, you must pre-treat with an anti-viral three days before your scheduled visit.
- You will have a mild sunburn sensation following treatment that is usually gone within a few hours.
- Skin redness, flaking, mild bruising and/or slight edema (swelling) is normal and may last a few days.
- Blistering is uncommon and when it occurs it is generally not serious.
- Pigmented areas may begin to flake after a few days.
- Cold compresses (not ice) and recommended skin care products may be useful to reduce swelling or discomfort. You may takeover-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication.
- Hydrocortisone (steroid) cream may decrease any itching or skin irritation.
- Antibiotic ointment (such as Neosporin) may be used if skin is broken, to prevent infection.
- Your skin will be fragile for 2-3 days. Use gentle cleansers, but do not rub the skin vigorously and avoid hot water during this time. Skin moisturizers may be used immediately and makeup can be applied if the skin is not broken.
- It is important to avoid sun exposure and tanning creams between treatments. Use SPF 30 or greater on the treatment area at all times.
- The treatment area may be left open and uncovered.
- Do not scrub or exfoliate the area.
- Do not use any products on the treated area without first consulting Newport Aesthetics.
- Avoid soaking for 24-48 hours. No hot tubs, whirlpools or baths, but showers are okay.
- Avoid excessive sweating for 24 to 48 hours. No saunas or vigorous working out.
- Avoid irritants, such Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, glycolics, bleaching creams, and exfoliants for one week.
- Treated area(s) will usually darken after treatments. Crusting of the skin can form. This crusting usually resolves in 1 to 3 weeks. Please allow your skin to naturally flake off for best results.
- In the rare case that you experience any blistering or scabbing, please call us as soon as possible.
- Contact us if you experience persistent or unusual redness, swelling or drainage, as antibiotics may be necessary.
- Do not apply makeup until redness has subsided.
- Avoid microdermabrasion and chemical peels one week after your treatment.
- Follow up treatments should be scheduled every 3-4 weeks.
- Consistent repeated treatments will produce the best results.
- Microdermabrasion, Chemical Peels, and/or topical skin lighting agents (discuss with our physician, clinicians or licensed esthetician) should be done in between your IPL treatments to enhance results.
and get a FREE HydraFacial!
Start with one if you are unsure but packages do save you money!
WINTER is the best time of year to do laser treatments!
To turn back the hands of time!