IPL (INTENSE PULSED LIGHT)
Want smooth & even skin that glows?
We have you covered. Newport Aesthetics offers IPL, a beauty-miracle at our premier location in Newport Beach, California.
IPL is an anti-aging, cutting-edge rejuvenation treatment that restores youthfulness and radiance, giving you clear, healthy-looking skin, no matter the age or climate. With minimal downtime and no significant side-effects, it is a safe and quick way to bring out your skin’s real beauty. Cheers to lighter, brighter and tighter skin!
What is IPL?
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light. These are anti-aging light based treatments that improve the appearance of multiple skin conditions, including melasma, rosacea, flushing, sun damaged skin, age spots (brown spots), skin texture, and photo-aging. The treatment also improves mild acne scars, reduces large pores, corrects dark circles around the eyes, and reduces fine lines. It is very effective for hair removal and is also used to tighten skin which has lost some of its elasticity. There is little or no “down time” for recovery. You can resume normal activities immediately. Just cover up with sunscreen so it doesn’t happen again!
What can IPL treat?
Newport Aesthetics’ IPL is a high-tech, high-impact photorejuvenation system designed to remedy a range of blemishes and skin imperfections. The procedure attacks and gets rid of age spots, brown pigments, discoloration, and redness due to broken capillaries and rosacea, and incorporates breakthrough innovations in medical beauty to improve appearance of skin.
IPL in Action at Newport Aesthetics
IPL for the whole body!
All those years in the sun before we knew any better. Iodine and baby oil…we can turn back time at Newport Aesthetics.
Why Newport Aesthetics?
Newport Aesthetics’ IPL treatment delivers noticeably smoother, more youthful-looking skin over a series of treatment sessions. The procedure works by beaming light onto the surface of skin in short pulses to promote collagen production and rejuvenate skin from within. With multiple sessions spread over a treatment regimen, the laser pulses help to fade away spots, fine lines, redness, pores, broken capillaries, rosacea signs and even under-eye circles. Safe and non-invasive, our IPL/PhotoFacial procedure is a top-of-the-line skincare solution that corrects photo-aged skin and evens out tone and texture. And with an in-house Medical Director (Dr. Ann Mai) and trained clinicians under her watch, you know you’re in good hands.
before and after
Rejuvenate your skin.
What is IPL again?
IPL stands for Intense Pulse Light. This is a non-laser, non-invasive treatment that uses LIGHT therapy. IPL treats photo-aged skin, removes age spots (brown spots = sun-induced freckles), most benign brown pigments (moles), and redness caused by broken capillaries, rosacea and more! IPL helps restore a more youthful appearance, leaving skin lighter, brighter and even tighter without any downtime.
How does IPL work?
IPL utilizes a non-laser medical device that delivers a series of gentle pulses of visible light onto the surface of your skin. In a series of treatments, pulses of visible light target the surface of your skin to effectively eliminate redness, broken capillaries, brown spots, sun damage, large pores, fine lines, and rosacea and melasma conditions. Upon assessing the degree of skin damage, specific settings are selected by our clinician to customize your IPL treatment for optimal results. Some patients opt for chemical peels or microdermabrasion treatments in conjunction with IPL treatments to enhance results. Ask your clinician!
What areas can IPL treat?
Virtually any part of your body with uneven skin tone, redness, or sun and age spots can be safely treated. The face, chest, shoulders and arms are the most popular areas for IPL treatment because they have typically had the most sun exposure. Discrete brown spots, excessively ruddy complexions and skin densely covered with freckles respond well to IPL treatment as well.
What happens during an IPL treatment?
Upon determining an IPL treatment plan appropriate for your skin condition(s) being treated, we will provide you with protective eyewear and apply a coupling lotion (Lux Lotion) to the areas to be treated. During treatment, your clinical gently applies the smooth, glass surface of the IPL hand piece to the skin, which feels cool and comfortable. When the pulse of light is delivered to the skin surface you may feel a mild, brief pinching sensation – like the snap of a rubber band.
How many IPL treatments will I need?
On average, 4 to 6 IPL/Photofacial treatments are recommended, scheduled at 3-4 week intervals. Each IPL session usually lasts about 15-45 minutes (depending on how much area needs to be treated), with everyone returning to normal activity immediately afterwards. Make sure you use sunscreen that we can provide!
What happens after an IPL treatment?
Immediately following an IPL treatment, you may notice a slight reddening of the surrounding skin which typically subsides within a couple of hours. Signs of sun damage and age spots temporarily darken but over the course of the next 1-3 weeks, darkened spots will fade and flake off and your mottled complexion will clear.
When will I see results?
Many patients see significant improvement within 2-3 weeks of an IPL treatment. Your complexion will be clearer and younger looking. IPL provides gradual, natural improvement with excellent long-term results. You will notice a reduction in redness, flushing and dilated capillaries and your skin will look healthier as sun damage, fine lines, pore size, freckling and irregular pigmentation is minimized. Results from a full series of IPL treatments usually last for a year or more.
Will the spots and redness reappear over time?
Follow our aftercare recommendations. We offer a physician-prescribed topical treatment to protect your investment. Don’t forget to use it to ensure longer-lasting results.
Over time new spots may appear if there is sufficient sun exposure; these too can be removed with additional IPL treatments. Remember to liberally apply sunscreen when outdoors to minimize sun damage and the appearance of new spots and excessive redness.
Are patients satisfied with their IPL results?
IPL treatments are recognized for a high measure of patient satisfaction. Our patients are very pleased with treatment results because the process treats the full face, neck, chest or hands, rather than addressing a single isolated area or imperfection.
- No Accutane use for 6 months prior to treatment.
- Do not tan the areas being treated for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Do not use self-tanning products for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Stop all Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, glycolics, bleaching creams, and exfoliants 3-4 days prior to treatment.
- The treatment area must be free of any open sores, lesions or skin infections.
- For treatment of pigmented skin lesions, you should consult a specialist if there is a family or personal history of skin cancer or if you have these concerns.
- Shave any hair present in the area to be treated. Men should shave the beard area twice in succession in order to ensure as close a shave as possible.
- Gently wash the area to be treated, removing makeup, lotion, etc. Do not apply any creams, lotions or other products to the area except a topical anesthetic (if being used).
- If you have elected to use a topical anesthetic, do so only after reviewing all cautions associated with its use. Apply and use as directed prior to arrival.
- You cannot be pregnant or breast feeding to receive treatment.
- If you have a history of oral herpes, you must pre-treat with an anti-viral three days before your scheduled visit.
- You will have a mild sunburn sensation following treatment that is usually gone within a few hours.
- Skin redness, flaking, mild bruising and/or slight edema (swelling) is normal and may last a few days.
- Blistering is uncommon and when it occurs it is generally not serious.
- Pigmented areas may begin to flake after a few days.
- Cold compresses (not ice) and recommended skin care products may be useful to reduce swelling or discomfort. You may takeover-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication.
- Hydrocortisone(steroid) cream may decrease any itching or skin irritation.
- Antibiotic ointment (such as Neosporin) may be used if skin is broken, to prevent infection.
- Your skin will be fragile for 2-3 days. Use gentle cleansers, but do not rub the skin vigorously and avoid hot water during this time. Skin moisturizers may be used immediately and makeup can be applied if the skin is not broken.
- It is important to avoid sun exposure and tanning creams between treatments. Use SPF 30 or greater on the treatment area at all times.
- The treatment area may be left open and uncovered.
- Do not scrub or exfoliate the area.
- Do not use any products on the treated area without first consulting Newport Aesthetics.
- Avoid soaking for 24-48 hours. No hot tubs, whirlpools or baths, but showers are okay.
- Avoid excessive sweating for 24 to 48 hours. No saunas or vigorous working out.
- Avoid irritants, such Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, glycolics, bleaching creams, and exfoliants for one week.
- Treated area(s) will usually darken after treatments. Crusting of the skin can form. This crusting usually resolves in 1 to 3 weeks. Please allow your skin to naturally flake off for best results.
- In the rare case that you experience any blistering or scabbing, please call us as soon as possible.
- Contact us if you experience persistent or unusual redness, swelling or drainage, as antibiotics may be necessary.
- Do not apply makeup until redness has subsided.
- Avoid microdermabrasion and chemical peels one week after your treatment.
- Follow up treatments should be scheduled every 3-4 weeks.
- Consistent repeated treatments will produce the best results.
- Microdermabrasion, Chemical Peels, and/or topical skin lighting agents (discuss with our physician, clinicians or licensed esthetician) should be done in between your IPL treatments to enhance results.
We are lucky that around here, IPL can be treated year round!